control (by anton corbijn)

Started by japanesebaby, September 22, 2007, 10:07:58

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

has anyone seen to joy division movie 'control' directed by anton corbijn?
it was shown here once this week, as an opening film for 'love & anarchy' movie festival (http://www.hiff.fi/).
but they had only one screening and it sold out within minutes - i had to be at work when the ticket sales started so i missed getting a ticket! :x
it would have been great to get to see this, they say the guy who plays ian curtis is very good. he even looks like him and sings very much like him too (he really sings all the songs, it's not playback or something).
i doubt it that there will be further screenings around here after this...  :(
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Cure Freak

I would love to see it. I hope, I get to, if it comes to the US.

strange_day

Ah, been dying to see this, gonna keep a close look out. It sounds really good.

silversand

I would like to see this film. Hope it will come to the cinemas here in Germany :)

Cure

i'm gonna watch the movie on thursday..

*excited*

& Peter Hook's gonna b there as well, 2 say a couple of things b4 the movie, & then play dj set in a bar..

yeah!!
[b]floating here like this with you
underneath the stars
alight for 13 billion years
the view is beautiful
and ours alone tonight
underneath the stars
[/b]

Cure

has anyone watched this movie??
i head it's awesome..
the best british movie of the year..
i tried 2 watch it yesterday, but it was sold out..
[b]floating here like this with you
underneath the stars
alight for 13 billion years
the view is beautiful
and ours alone tonight
underneath the stars
[/b]

japanesebaby

Cure, i've merged these topics since your last post was starting a double thread...

:smth001

anyway, it looks like this got sold out pretty much everywhere...

japanesebaby

being the slowest of the slow, finally i got to see this in a movie theatre...  :oops:
but what a great film. i really liked the aspect that it managed to portray curtis' descent into depression simply as an everyday tragedy, something that under the given circumstances could happen to anyone, and not as some sort of an "iconic tragedy", something that specifically needed to be immortalized on film because of it's uniqueness. 
and excellently shot in black and white (you couldn't imagine this film being in color!) - i was really pleased to see mr. corbijn doing such a great job behind movie camera too!
and a very good cast.

j

Yes, that is a fantastic movie.  Love how it was cast...almost dead on!  :smth023

Janko

ONE OF MY FRIENDS WAS ON PREMIERE HERE IN BELGRADE AND I ASKED HIM ABOUT THE MOVIE...

HE SAID:

"IT'S GOOD ALRIGHT, BUT YOU KINDA KNOW HOW'S IT'S GONNA END"

I LAUGHED MY HEART AND LUNGS OFF...

I'D SAY ITS A GREAT MOVIE BUT  24 HOURS PARTY PEOPLE IS MUCH, MUCH BETTER FILM. AND A LIGHTER ONE!

:smth023
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

japanesebaby

Quote from: Janko on May 18, 2008, 16:18:52
I'D SAY ITS A GREAT MOVIE BUT  24 HOURS PARTY PEOPLE IS MUCH, MUCH BETTER FILM. AND A LIGHTER ONE!

funny because i was just re-watching '24 hour party people' yesterday night, just because i wanted to make this comparison too.*) and surely, it's a lighter one - and i think it's not fair to make the comparison because the approach in both films is so different(!).

but certainly, 'control' is WAY way much better film. both from the cinematic point of view and story wise. '24 hour party people' is still a good watch and a well-made film altogether, in every way - but you watch it and you feel ok but that's it. whereas 'control' leaves something for you to think about, 'control' is saying something to you.

*) by the way, i fell asleep before the end... :-P

Steve

I loved Control to be honest & have the DVD now.
As JB has already said, beautifully filmed in B&W & Sam Riley was a revalation in that role of Curtis.
Was sad to watch him spiral into that state despair.
Apparently Anton Corbijn forked out half the film's budget himself.

I have had 24 hour party people for ages now & still haven't seen it al the way through.
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

Janko

DOCUMENTARY FILMS ARE A REAL GOLDMINE NOWADAYS HUH?
IN RECENT FEW YEARS:

JOY DIVISION HAVE TWO BIOPICS (24 HOURS PARTY & CONTROL)
RAMONES ALSO HAVE TWO OF THEM (END OF THE CENTURY & RAMONES RAW)
THE CLASH HAVE TWO ALSO (WESTWAY & FUTURE IS...)

PS
STEVE YOU HAVE 666 POSTS
:-)
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

japanesebaby

to promote the anton corbijn photo exhibition that opened here yesterday, there was a movie theatre screening for this documentary yesterday:

grant gee: joy division (2007)

anybody seen this? i guess it's been available on dvd already - but movie screen is movie scree so i decided to go check it out in the theatre.

nothing overly new there for anyone familiar with the band history already but the
interviews were well done and still interesting. it also had some pretty interesting live footage included, looked like they had digged up some audience filmed sources: more or less generated but as that was from 79-80... wouldn't it be nice to see some of those complete, for sure.
(my favorite part: peter hook telling how he was trying to get some french-speaking guy to get the hell out of the room somewhere in belgium: the guy didn't understand his repeated  f*ck offs so he shouted "f*ck-ee off-eee!", to make it sound more "understandable". :lol:)